If you’re struggling with your relationship with alcohol, you might be wondering if your habits are bordering on or have crossed the line into alcoholism. Take our non-scientific test now to gain an understanding of some of the signs of an alcoholic.
If you’ve ever experienced a niggling suspicion that your drinking habits are different to those around you, or that you might be losing control, then it’s possible that you might be showing tell-tale symptoms of alcoholism.
The following test is in no way definitive but will give you an idea of some of the signs of alcoholism and could give an early indication that you need help. Please answer the following questions as honestly as you can to find out.
Behavioural signs of an alcoholic
- Have you ever failed to keep promises to yourself about controlling or cutting down your drinking?
- Do you drink heavily when you’re disappointed, under pressure, or have had an argument?
- Are you in more of a hurry to have your first drink of the day than you used to be?
- Do you ever feel uncomfortable if alcohol isn’t available?
- Do you occasionally stay drunk for days at a time?
Physical symptoms of alcoholism
- Can you handle more alcohol now compared to when you first started to drink?
- Have you ever been unable to remember part of the previous evening?
- Have you ever experienced morning shakes and had a drink to fix it?
- Have you been experiencing more memory ‘blackouts’ recently?
- Do you eat very little or irregularly when drinking?
The effects of alcohol on friends and family
- Do you find yourself wanting to carry on drinking after your friends have had enough?
- Has a family member or close friend ever expressed concerns about your drinking?
- Have any of your blood relatives ever had a problem with alcohol?
- Do you avoid family or close friends while you’re drinking?
Emotional signs of addiction
- Do you ever feel depressed or anxious before, during or after periods of heavy drinking?
- Do you sometimes regret anything you did or said while drinking?
- Have you ever thought about seeking help for your drinking?
- Do you sometimes feel guilty about your drinking?
Environmental signs of alcoholism
- Have you ever incurred a drink driving offence or any other legal problem related to your drinking?
- Are you having more financial, work, school or family problems because of drinking?
- Has your doctor ever advised you to cut down on your drinking?
Results: What next?
If you answered ‘yes’ to more than 3 questions, you could potentially have a serious level of alcohol-related problems requiring immediate attention and possible treatment. Port of Call can offer a range services to help with addiction, including alcohol rehab and intervention.
Our team is made up of people in recovery and professionals who are trained in addictions counselling. We urge you not to suffer in silence and reach out to someone who’s been there and can help. We can help you decide if you need to consider a private rehab treatment. Call our free phone line today on 08000029010 or email email@example.com for specialised addiction support.
Disclaimer: Although these questions incorporate many of the common symptoms of alcoholism, this self-test is intended to be used for educational purposes only. It should in no way be considered a scientific diagnosis of alcoholism.
WARNING: If you or a loved one have symptoms of a physical dependency on alcohol, do not attempt to stop or detox without consulting a medical practitioner or Addiction Specialist. Failure to do so could result in a serious threat to your life. Serious alcohol withdrawal symptoms can result in death.