Have you noticed that you’re drinking more than usual or your drinking habits seem different to those around you? Perhaps your friend, spouse, or colleague are showing signs of alcohol dependency and you’re worried. Know the signs of an alcoholic by taking the Port of Call alcoholism test. It could be the first step towards finding out if a problem really does exist and finding appropriate Addiction support.
The Port of Call Alcoholism Test
Please answer the following questions as honestly as you can:
- Do you/they drink heavily when you’re disappointed, under pressure, or have had an argument
- Can you/they handle more alcohol now compared to when you first started to drink?
- Have you/they ever been unable to remember part of the previous evening?
- Do you/they ever feel uncomfortable if alcohol isn’t available?
- Are you/they in more of a hurry to get your first drink of the day than you used to be?
- Do you/they sometimes feel guilty about your drinking?
- Have you/they been experiencing more memory ‘blackouts’ recently?
- Do you/they find yourself wanting to carry on drinking after your friends have had enough?
- Do you/they sometimes regret anything you did or said while drinking?
- Have you/they ever failed to keep promises to yourself about controlling or cutting down your drinking?
- Have you/they ever incurred a drink driving offence or any other legal problem related to your drinking?
- Do you/they avoid family or close friends while you’re drinking?
- Would you say you/they are having more financial, work, school, and/or family problems as a direct result of your/their drinking?
- Has your/their doctor ever advised you/them to cut down on your/their drinking?
- Do you/they eat very little or irregularly when drinking?
- Have you/they ever experienced morning shakes and had a drink to fix it?
- Do you/they occasionally stay drunk for days at a time?
- Have you/they ever thought about seeking help for your drinking?
- Do you/they ever feel depressed or anxious before, during or after periods of heavy drinking?
- Have any of your/their blood relatives ever had a problem with alcohol?
If you answered ‘yes’ to more than 3 questions, you may have a serious level of alcohol-related problems requiring immediate attention and possible treatment. Port of Call can offer a range services to help with addiction, including how to find alcohol rehab and group intervention.
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you could have a problem with alcohol dependency or alcohol addiction. It is definitely worthwhile speaking to one of our trained addiction counsellors. This service free of charge and is strictly confidential. Please call us on 08000029010 to find an alcohol rehab close to you.
Disclaimer: Although these questions incorporate many of the common symptoms of alcoholism, this self-test is intended to be used for educational purposes only. It should in no way be considered a scientific diagnosis of alcoholism.
WARNING: If you or a loved one have symptoms of a physical dependency on alcohol, do not attempt to stop or detox without consulting a medical practitioner or Addiction Specialist. Failure to do so could result in a serious threat to your life. Serious alcohol withdrawal symptoms can result in death.